Monday, March 5, 2012

Making My Own Baby Food......Loving It

So I am obviously not the "greenest" person in the world, but I have decided to try my hand at making Campbell his own baby food. I have decided to do this for two reason. #1 It is much cheaper that buying all that other stuff and #2 I know when the food was made and I know it's the healthiest it can be.  Plus there is just this ultra good feeling when your doing it. So I thought I would kinda share the process a little bit for my other Mommy friends out there that want to try this. Though I highly recommend reading this lady's blog as well. She is the one who inspired me. You can find her here.
 Here are all the fruits and veggies I bought to start Campbell out with. Some Zucchini, Pears, Apples, Yams, Squash and Brown Rice. We are currently feeding Campbell the Zucchini but he has tried carrots and Yams before. They say to start with the veggies first and then towards 8 months or so in introduce the fruits. But I'm going to go ahead and make some fruit because it will stay good in the freezer for 3 months.
 Here is my Zucchini all done and pureed and in my silicone ice trays ready to freeze. I love these ice cube trays! They are perfect 1oz. servings and are so easy to get the food out AS LONG as you don't keep the food in them for more than a few days. When the food in them is done freezing (I usually will freeze over night for for an afternoon) pop it out and put it in labeled baggies like you see below. You can find the trays here.
 Here are my green beans! Do you see how nice and bright green they are and not that pasty olive green color that you see in the baby food jars?! That's because mine are super healthy!
I bought this book on amazon here and as well as this super helpful spatula here. You CAN NOT get the food in the ice cube trays efficiently without this spatula! And I love this cookbook because it's not just "peaches" or "sweet potatoes". It's fun things like green beans w/ mint and roasted red peppers with goat cheese. And it goes all the way up to 18 months and the unique ways you can make healthy toddler food.

So anyway, there you have it. Buy it, Wash it, Steam it, Puree it, Cube it, Freeze it, and Bag it. I love making baby food!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment