Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Celebrating Memorial Day Weekend when you have a young family is very different then the ways we use to spend it. But you know what, I like this way a little better anyway. Run down of my weekend. And I always start with Friday even though I had to work, it's still Friday and I consider it the weekend.

Friday at work went by SO FAST! It was Pre-K Graduation day for my kids. We have been working so hard with them for this. We woke up early from nap (though most the kids were already awake b/c they were so excited) and started getting ready. First we sent the few kids that still had another year of Pre-K over to Pre-School so we could focus on staying on time. We got the kids to sit down for a quick snack so they wouldn't be hungry during the whole thing. Have you ever worked with 20 hungry kids?  Kids that were not at school that day but were graduating started arriving around 2:50pm. We sent everyone to the bathroom and started putting on gowns and caps. The kids were so excited to be putting on their caps b/c my co-teacher and I had been making such a big deal about them. As soon as every ones tummy's were full, bladders were emptied and camps and gowns were on as straight as they were going to get, I started getting the kids together for a quick picture before we headed up. Now this was a challenge all in it's own. The past 2 graduating classes were only around 15 kids or so. Posing 15 kids for a quick picture is not a problem. But this year we had 22 graduates! I had to get a little creative.  I had the kids standing, kneeling, standing on chairs, and then in the very back, standing on the table! And the picture still wasn't to my perfectionist liking, but we were running late and the kids were getting antsy so I snapped what I could and we got moving. Here is one of the shots. Don't they all look so grown up!!
We lined up in our line and started heading upstairs to graduate. I have never seen or heard the kids so quite on the way upstairs! We got to the room and Holy Heck did we have a turn out! It was packed. The kids sang their songs great and then it was slide show time. I worked FOREVER on this thing and was SO nervous. But it was a hit. The kids loved it and the parents loved it. The kids walked to get their diplomas while I read off their names and what they wanted to be when they grew up. Example: One little girl wanted to Jasmine and Sleeping Beauty when she grew up. One boy wanted to Build GPS's. We had a future costume designer among us and an builder who wanted to build play places for kids. These kids are amazing. After some cake and punch and talking with everyone, it was time to go home. I wish I could say that I did something, anything, with my family Friday night, but I was SO exhausted, I fell asleep around 8pm.

Saturday morning was adventurous. Dave worked in the morning and I thought it would be fun to head to the River Market with the kids to pick up some produce for the week. I'm not a complete fool though. I invited my mom along to help with the kids. Got my produce and Emery got to ride the train (aka the lady with the barrels hooked up to her lawn mower and charges $2 a ride, genius!).

After some short afternoon naps, we were off to my friend Courtney's house for her son's 1st Birthday. Emery had a blast playing with the other kids and Campbell used his charm to woo the ladies. After the birthday party, we picked up a pizza and headed home. Everyone was pretty tired so we stayed in the rest of the night.

Sunday morning was typical again. But finally we got the kids outside to play! It was the first time the kids got into their bathing suits. They looked SO CUTE. We got the water table out and let the kids at it. Campbell was having so much fun. I'm pretty weird when it comes to letting Campbell crawl around outside, I just don't let him, but today was I a free spirit and let him do whatever.



 Him and Emery played for over an hour at the table. Campbell decided it was time to explore other places when Emery took a bucket and filled it with water and poured it over his head. After some evening grocery shopping, we sat down for dinner, got showers, and then ALL went to bed.

Monday! Memorial Day! A day to BBQ with family and be at the pool/lake. A day to remember those who have fought for us and are still fighting for us. A day to spend together as a family. Well, we did the last two. There was no BBQing for us because most our family was out of town and we (okay, I really just mean I) don't really BBQ much anyway b/c we (again, really just me) don't eat meat. On a side note, this will be my first summer as a vegetarian and it is sure to be a very hard one seeing that my family will find any reason to get together and smoke some meat to eat together. But I will just have to plug my nose and be stronger than the delicious smell of ribs and bbq sauce. Anyway, so instead of all that other stuff, we went on a family shopping trip to Zona Rosa. The kids were wonderful walking around Zona and going into the stores. Campbell got some summer shorts and tshirts while Mommy found some Dick's Sporting Goods gift cards in her wallet that she had forgotten about and got herself a new Nike+ sensor for her runs =) Emery restrained from running in the fountains as well. It was nice to get out with everyone because it doesn't happen too often. After shopping, we headed to Dave's Dads house to spend some time with them. Went out to eat at Corner Cafe and then headed back again to their house to play in the driveway and jump on the trampoline.

Big change from the Memorial Day's I use to spend at the lake with friends, but I wouldn't change it.







No comments:

Post a Comment