Saturday, April 21, 2012

Organic Grocery Shopping

I went grocery shopping today (by myself I might add, which is always nice) at HyVee. Before I left, Dave and I made a list of everything we needed, which we always do, but usually always add more too it. Today I was determined to stick to my list! I am currently reading the book Skinny Bitch. If you have never heard anything about this book, it's pretty life changing. This whole book is about of course, how to eat healthy, why you should eat healthy, and what food does to your body. There is a whole couple chapters on how meat is raised, killed, and processed. It grossed me out! It was horrible to read! I actually had to skip a couple of pages in one of the chapters that was interviewing people that work at some of those places because of the things they were telling that goes on in there. The digusting and horrible things that they do to the animals and then that happen to the meat that we eat. Sick! So, needless to say, I have not ate any meat in the last 2 weeks. We have been drinking almond milk as well.

So anyway, on with the grocery store story. I went to the grocery store with the full intention of buying as healthy as possible. And healthy I did! I ended up talking with this lady that worked there and she told me about all these great local products that are purely organic. AND she showed me chicken breasts that were locally grown without any hormones or mistreating the animals. Oh how I have missed chicken. It looked a little different then other chicken breasts of course. Not as big and not that pale pink. It was smaller and was a bright pink. I bought a few and Dave grilled it. It was delish. Couldn't even tell the difference except for the size. AND it was SOOOOO much better for us.

That was just the beginning of my awesome shopping. I was introduced to Morning Star Veggie Dogs (meat-less corn dogs) for Emery (which she had for dinner tonight and ate the whole thing). Just about everything I bought was organic and/or local and/or healthy! Now, I will say, with as little as I got, I spent a lot more than we usually do. I have always read that buying healthy/organic is more expensive, but that sucked.  But it's all worth it when I know me and my family are putting the best thing possible into our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment