Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Permission of a 3 Year Old

Has anyone out there who is around kids a lot realized how much we ask their permission for something? I had read about this a long time ago but never really thought about till I noticed myself doing it today. "We're going to leave in 5 min., okay?" "We're going to have grilled cheese for dinner tonight, okay?" Okay? Not okay. I remember reading how this phrase was not okay. We should not be asking our kids if anything is okay that we have planned. We are their parents. Giving a kid the kind of power where they can say, "Not okay" isn't good. Well, according to this article it wasn't. So just 10 min. ago I said to E, "We're going to have mac and cheese for lunch and then it's nap time, okay?" Why am I asking her if this is okay. If she would have said, "No Mommy, this is not okay" I still wouldn't have changed anything. All it set me up for was a possible fight with her. Thankfully she said, "okay". But I realized just how easy "okay" slips into the end of my sentences to her.

Anyway, that's just my little rant for now. Thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment